Friday, August 7, 2009

Quarry Fun

The quarries. When I was a kid, it was a big deal. They were dangerous, and I was not allowed to go. I didn't even have to ask. You just knew back then. If I only knew what I was missing... :)

My youngest went to the quarries the other day, and when she got home she was SO excited. It was a "great place." "Dad, you'd love it." "Please come take pictures of us." Ok, I can do that.

So I went to the quarry. As they saw me, they said "where's your suit?" Oopsie. Wish I'd worn it. It looked like SO MUCH fun. Is it dangerous? Well, a bit. Like skiing, or hanggliding. Or scuba, rock climbing. I get why the authorities don't want people over there. Some dope gets likkered up and gets hurt and then the authorities have to "do something" or at least appear to, and that's what makes them place the quarries off limits. It's easier than someone being responsible to oversee the goings on there, or people actually being responsible for themselves. But the truth is you only need have a brain to play safely there. Which does leave those with less than half a brain in danger, but they are gonna have trouble with traffic and chainsaws and matches, and they don't outlaw those.

The kids had fun. I was wishing I could join them on this gorgeous summer day. Spectacular.

Geronimo!


At launch.

They call me skywalker.

The other side


I can fly!
How it all ends.

No comments: